Develop Information Interoperability Standards
Have you wondered what these standards are: IEC 61850, CIM, IEC 62351 , IEEE 1547.8?
The development of international information interoperability standards for the Smart Grid is often a long and frustrating process. Yet standards are vital to the ultimate success of the Smart Grid.
Xanthus has been involved in developing these interoperability standards since when it was first recognized that the lack of communication standards was hindering the automation of power systems. At first, it was enough just to standardize the bits - was the most significant bit on the right or the left of a string of bits?? However, as the Smart Grid is starting to take shape, information standards encompass many different communication layers (media, network, transport, syntax, semantics, etc.), many different environments (operations, back office, customer sites, third parties), and many new demands (millisecond performance, high reliability, and cyber security).
Specific standard areas that Xanthus has been actively supporting, include:
- IEC TC57 WG15 for the IEC 62351 series of security standards for power system operations (Xanthus is convenor)
- IEC TC57 WG17 for IEC 61850-7-420 and IEC 61850-90-7 information standards for Distributed Energy Resources (DER), Plug-in Electric Vehicles (PEV), and Distribution Automation (DA) (Xanthus is editor)
- IEC TC57 WG 14 for the Common Information Model (CIM) for distribution in the IEC 61968 series
- IEC TC57 WG 19 for the coordination and harmonization of the IEC TC57 standards
- IEEE SCC21 for the P1547.8 on electrical connectivity of significant penetration of DER on the grid, microgrids, and low-voltage ride-through (Xanthus is the leader of the monitoring and control task force)
- IEEE PES Power System Communications Committee (PSCC) (Xanthus is past chair)
- IEEE PES PSCC Security Subcommittee (Xanthus is chair)
- IEEE Intelligent Grid Coordinating Council (IGCC) task force for assessing all IEEE Smart Grid standards (Xanthus is leader of the task force)
Some of the core Smart Grid standards from the IEC can be reviewed at http://www.iec.ch/smartgrid/standards/
|IEC 61850 and SEP 2.0 Standards for communications with the Chevy Volt EV||Alice and Bob Cryptography||Benefits of Standards|