Information Standards Projects
IEC TC57 Standards Development Projects
- Convenor of IEC TC57 WG15, leading the development of security standards for utility operations protocols, including ICCP, IEC 61850, and DNP. In addition, the development of Network and System Management data objects for power system operations, to help ensure security and reliability of end-to-end systems. These security standards consist of the IEC 62351 series: Data and Communication Security – Part 1: Introduction, Part 2: Glossary, Part 3: Profiles Including TCP/IP, Part 4: Profiles Including MMS, Part 5: Security for IEC 60870-5 and Derivatives (i.e. DNP3), Part 6: Security for IEC 61850 Profiles, Part 7: Security Through Network and System Management, and Part 8: Role-Based Access Control. See the White Paper on IEC TC57 WG15.
- IEC TC57 WG17 to develop IEC 61850-90-7 on PV/Storage Inverter communication standards, as a fast track approach while development of Edition 2 of IEC 61850-7-420 is undertaken.
- IEC TC57 WG17 to develop IEC 61850-7-420 standards for Distributed Energy Resources and Distribution Automation. The DER IEC 61850-7-420 became a standard in March 2009. The DA standardization effort is on-going.
- IEC TC57 WG14 to develop standards for distribution information exchange CIM models for the exchange of information between distribution operational systems.
- IEC TC57 WG19 for the harmonization of international standards, with the focus of integrating IEC 61850 with the Common Information Model (IEC 61970).
- IEC SG3 on Smart Grid coordination.
- IEC TC8 WG4 on Smart Grid Use Cases.
IEEE Power Energy Society (PES)
- As Chair of IEEE PES PSCC Security Assessment WG, am heading the development for the IEEE of Recommended Practices, educational material, and other information related to the assessment of information security risks in power system operations.